Welcome to the Grinnell College Physics Museum. This Museum consists primarily of instruments and equipment used to teach physics or do physics research at Grinnell College. The core of the collection are objects purchased or constructed from approximately 1882 to 1928. In addition, the museum includes donated physics-related equipment, such as telephone and telegraph instruments, x-ray equipment, and surveying instruments. It also includes an excellent collection of meteorites.
The site contains ample navigational page links for general browsing or for finding specific objects or specific groups of objects. Each item contains a picture and a brief description. The museum display cases in the Noyce Hall of Science at Grinnell College contain many of the items shown in this web site and we invite you to visit the museum.
Transcontinental telephone cable containing 560 copper wires.This aerial cable required an attached steel cable for support.
X-rays were discovered by Professor Wilhelm Roentgen in the autumn of 1895; he announced the discovery at the end of that year. News of the discovery…
Instruments and pictures related to the Goodnow Observatory